Friday, March 7, 2014

Long Lists and Airport Outfits

Today has been a day of list-making and list-finishing. After a lovely cuddle with Jensen in bed, cup of coffee provided by Kerstin (Best Wife in World, 6 years running), I made my Big List of the Day, which I've been working to cross off since I actually convinced myself to climb out of bed and into the real world. Between figuring out the restrictions on luggage for my trip up and back to sorting out all of those final details -- photocopying insurance papers, charging electronics, making sure my Kobo's library is bulked up (The 5th Wave, recommended enthusiastically by one of my students, is at the top of my list, as are the first five Percy Jackson books and other choice picks) -- it's been a busy day.

We did manage to carve out some time to go on a walk with Jensen up to a local park; it's such a beautiful day here -- light jacket weather, sunny, clean and crisp air -- and I figured I might as well enjoy wearing my Southern clothes while I can. Although, to be fair, my Canada Goose parka is currently hanging up by the front door, its pockets stuffed full of other winter accoutrements, and I feel a little puff of excitement each time I look at it. There aren't many opportunities to wear such a coat in Halifax, and I've missed feeling like an explorer who's hopped the Wall and is off into wildling territory (that's a Game of Thrones reference, in case you aren't enamoured with the show and/or novels).

Speaking of. So, my brother and his fiance are giving me a lift to the airport tomorrow morning (thanks, Ken and Ayla!) and, while thinking about packing and luggage restrictions and the clunky nature of many things I will need to have on my person when I step off the plane in Iqaluit on Sunday, well -- I realized (and by I realized, I mean Kerstin pointed out, thus breaking my absent-minded reverie) that I am going to need to wear a) my parka (Nick recommended this last semester, but it hadn't really 'clicked' for me), and b) my huge Sorel boots built for -70C.

In other words, stylish and streamlined all of the way.

But that's the price one must pay when living in a world with Air Canada's baggage restrictions and when heading to a place that requires bulky outerwear to fend off the cold.

Expect a photograph of my airport outfit ensemble soon.

For now, here is a photo of someone who, of his own free will and entirely of his own doing, snuggled up in my sweatshirt while we were out of the room. He has figured out that something is Going On.

How he managed to get pull it over him will forever remain a mystery.
(This has been an exercise in trying to get used to blogging daily)
(Daily dog photos will be stopping soon, but I may need to sort out a weekly feature -- Jensen Tuesdays or Greyhound Saturdays or preferably something that uses alliteration -- in order to keep that traffic up)

No comments:

Post a Comment